Here’s a simple technique and to get you started with a very basic, accessible 10-minute daily seated practice.
- Find a quiet place
- Sit in a comfortable upright position with your hands on your knees
- Close your eyes and take 10 breaths, letting your exhale get longer and longe with each one
- Starting at a very gentle pace, begin to count backwards from 100 by threes, saying each number softly or just sub-lingualizing them with every inhale and exhale. So, for example, inhale and think and say 100, exhale, think and say 97, inhale, think and say 94 and so on. If you get a number wrong, just let it go, say the right one and move one.
- When this becomes easy or a few days or week in, pick up the pace a little bit until it becomes easy again. Then, bump the top number by 25 and keep practicing and bumping pace until it gets easy again. Keep at this until the whole practice takes about 20-minutes and give it a few weeks.
- Let go of any expectations and see what unfolds...we're all meant to suck at it in the beginning!